Aussie Old Parked Cars is a collection of old, interesting and high performance cars that I have come across. Your comments, complaints and corrections are always welcome.

Sunday 31 March 2013

1994 Toyota Celica SX Liftback (ST204)

toyota celica sx 1993 t200

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have owned this model since 1997 now at 75,000 miles daily driver but not for commuting. Never really had a problem or even a significant repair. The hatch latch is no longer snug and needs either a replacement or adjustment. Took it out on one of California’s fastest and busiest sections of the I - 10 last week. Had ample reponse at 70 to 85 mph, superb (impressive) highway handling despite its years (struts and tires are recent) . This car Should of had aftermarket engine upgrades there are none at all. It only has about 115 hp. Good horses but not enough for an enthusiast. Which meant a lot of shifting thru 1st & 2nd very Short gears.( for hauling) .. Torque comes on about 3k but is used up 4k which is fine (only) in 4th & 5th gear. Needed a 6th gear to reduce noise at 75mph cruising speed. It is not aero stable above 100mph due to air getting under the front and removing the superb handling feel. Perhaps a front end body kit solves that.
Engine is smooth at high rpm but simply too noisy and annoying above 3.6k so i rarely shift above that leaving some power on the table. Did lately remove steel wheels for 14in alloys and it added a touch of handling and acceleration. Clutch is light and a bit indefinite, so its easy to shift but lacks bite when you want it. If i lived in a state that allowed modifications I would do so despite the fact that this engine is practically new. It would no doubt outlive me. I would replace it.
This car was one of toyota's finest (durable, reliable, handling) but they were not inclined to persue a true sports engine/powertrain and it died from neglect. If they resurrect it with a turbo i would consider that.